The Help - Kathryn Stockett

on Friday, July 16, 2010

I really loved this book. After reading the book, I went to see whether the author has written any other books. It seems she has a hard time finding publishers to publish this book. I wonder why. It is really very good. It is a story about the colored help in Mississippi during the old times in USA and their white ladies. It details the story of Abileen (colored maid who takes care of Mae Mobley and Lil man), Minny - a strong colored maid - who is quite outspoken and Skeeter - a young white woman - who was taken care of by Constantine (colored maid). Skeeter talks to Aibileen and wants to write a book which involves interviewing all the colored maids in Jackson. This was a time during which colored people lived in a separate part of town and weren't treated quite as well as now. I really liked the view points of Minny and Skeeter the best. I've heard that this book is getting turned into a movie. That should be good. Hope it lives up to the book!

6 comments:

Titaxy said...

I loved this one too. Was a wonderful read!

Doli said...

@Titaxy - very true! I just loved this novel...

Mridula said...

Sounds like a good read! I read a trash called the Java Man on the vacation.

Doli said...

@Mridula - ohh how was it?

chatterbox said...

Sounds pretty interesting :)
Thank you for suggesting Doli :)

Cheers!!

Doli said...

@Chatterbox - Do let me know how you found it :) I loved the novel