Hotel on the corner of bitter and sweet - Jamie Ford

on Friday, July 9, 2010

I really loved this book. It was so touching and emotional. I started thinking about how life must have been during that time. The book is about Henry Lee who is a American - Chinese boy who grows up during the World War II time. He has a friend Keiko who is Japanese. During this time, the Japanese were hated by Americans because Japan was against America during the war. Keiko and her family are sent to a refugee camp to stay there and Henry misses her and somehow manages to meet her. They later say good bye and due to certain circumstances, the letters that Keiko and Henry write to each other are not received. Henry gets married to a Chinese lady Ethel and has a son Marty. The story starts out when Ethel dies and Marty and Henry start getting closer. A very lovely story. I read the book through the night on Wednesday because I couldn't keep it down once I started :)

3 comments:

Mridula said...

I too have done that, not being able to put a book down and staring at dawn later but not anymore! Must have been a gripping story.

Doli said...

@Mridula - Yes, it was really good. I really felt the emotions that was being conveyed by the author

Doli said...

@Mridula - Yes, it was really good. I really felt the emotions that was being conveyed by the author