The palace of illusions - Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

on Monday, December 21, 2009

After reading the reviews by Mad momma, Mamma of twins and Mystic Pizza, I had decided to read this novel. It sounded really good according to their reviews. And boy oh boy was I pleased that I read the novel. It is an amazing potrayal of Draupadi's viewpoint starting way from her birth to the end in the Mahabharata. I really loved the way Draupadi had her own thoughts and it was really good. A must read for everyone!

7 comments:

Mridula said...

Let us see if I am able to pick it up.

Doli said...

Do let me know your thoughts on the book. I loved it!

BlueMist said...

Really ? this is first positive review I have read about the book. I mean compared to other books by Chitra Divakaruni.

Deej said...

Super book no? I so wished I had written it cos everytime I heard my granny tell me the story of Mahabharata and Ramayana, I wondered what Draupadi and Sita actually felt about it all. Good on CBD for not stopping with that and following on that train of thought.

Doli said...

@BlueMist - is it? I loved the book! I haven't read any of her other books so can't compare. But this one I just loved it!

@Deej - Yep super duper I would say. I just knew the brief outline of the Mahabharata. This book made it clearer

The Ketchup Girl said...

i'm a big big fan of her's. and with palace of illusions she out did herself! its amazing how there can be so many perspectives to mahabharata...but i think by far this feminist take/ telling the epic from draupadi's point of view is most creative and thought provoking. if u are on facebook, you must join chitra's page. she is very down to earth and responds to individual queries. loved being here, doli. :)

Doli said...

ohh thanks Ketchup Girl I will search for her FB page :)