Three old books that I read

on Friday, December 5, 2008

This is different from my usual posts :)

This is about three books that I read sometime earlier this year -
Memoirs of geisha - Arthur Golden
A thousand splendid suns - Khalid Hosseini
The Kite Runner - Khalid Hosseini

All three books are so good. I would recommend them any day

The first one is about a geisha. I used to think geishas were prostitutes or something on those lines. But these are girls who are selected and have a lot of work to do. They have to be good in the art of converstaion, pouring sake and entertaining people. Dont want to reveal all the details here :)

Khalid Hosseini's books also are too good. Both of them were marvellous and worth reading :)

7 comments:

Mridula said...

At last i find a book that i have read too! Memoirs of Geisha was a lovely read and I enjoyed the movie too.

Doli said...

:) Oh I havent seen the movie. I just read the novel. It was really amazing.

Raj said...

The Kite Runner -

This is the second novel that I read completely. Its a great book that gives you an insight to the living style of Afghanis. To add more to what Doli wrote about this book - this is the story of a boy named Amir and his childhood friend (infact he is the son of a servant) Hasan. The narrator of this story is Amir himself. The whole story goes on how Amir wants to atone for the injustice that he has done to Hasan inorder to gain his father's love. And in the course of his struggle for atonement he finds out how Hasan is related to him. Unfortunately at the end he finds out how the Taliban extremists shot Hasan and how his son is put in an orphanage. He later adopts Hasan's son Sohrab as a gesture of his thankfulness to Hasan for all the love and respect he has given him. The book starts by telling you what kite running is and how Afghan kids love it. The book also tells you about who Hazaras are and how they are treated in Afghanistan by the rich Pashtun class people. It tells you about the barbarous acts of Talibans against Afghan women. It describes about the orthodoxic nature of Afghan muslims. All in all an amazing book to read. I saw the movie after I read the book but to my dismay a lot of incidents that happen in the story were eliminated.

Raj said...

Want to know more about Kite Runner ??? Then here is the link.

http://www.wikisummaries.org/The_Kite_Runner

Doli said...

@ Raj - Thanks for visiting my blog. You have given a detail of the book :) I feel so sorry for both Amir and Hassan. Never think such things can happen in real life.

Namita Chandra said...

The kite runner was an excellent book indeed. I just read it about a fortnight back. Am planning to read thousand splendid sons now

Doli said...

@Namita - Do let me know how you liked it!