A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth

on Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Most of you must be wondering why I havent posted recently. That is because I have started reading this novel " A Suitable Boy" which is around 1300 pages. And even for a reader like me who reads pretty fast, this is really huge. So I thought I ll keep you up-to-date with whatever I have read so far.

My main intention of choosing Vikram Seth was that I wanted to read something written by an Indian author. Wanted to hear more from my country :).

So here goes the story line so far.

There are numerous family lines entwined here where ones sister is another person's sis - in-law. So in brief, so far the main crux of the story is Lata. She is a single woman who has just finished her studies and falls in love with a Muslim person Kabir. The story is so far around them and their families and how the family reacts to such news. The mother is on a search for a suitable boy for her, along with her brothers and sisters. :)

There is a nephew Bhaskar who is interested in Maths a lot. There is some sub plot invovling shoe makers :) And lots of other twists and tales. I liked the novel so far and hope it has a good conclusion :)

4 comments:

Mridula said...

Long back I read An Equal Music and found it OK. Hope you enjoyed this one.

Doli said...

I just got An Equal Music.. started reading that parallely too. But there is a lot of music terminology in it so it gets a bit heavy sometimes :)

Anonymous said...

omg! i love the look and feel change of your page... :)

Doli said...

hehehe :) Thanks Soyfeliz... just changed it to reflect how cold here it is in the US. We have been having below 0 F temp since 2 weeks :(