Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie

on Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I haven't yet disappeared from the blog world yet :) It's this book that's taking me a long time to read. The writing style is very unusual compared to normal books and hence takes me a while to read. The closest I could compare to was Arvind Adiga's style in White Tiger.

The story is about kids born at midnight during Independence for India. Saleem is one and he is the narrator of the story. He realises at age 10 or so that all these kids have some gifts and that they can communicate to each other within their minds. I'm still reading the novel so not much details now. Will update this post when I finish reading the book.

Update
I really liked the book. It is basically a story about the kids born at midnight all tied in with the political events of Indira Gandhi, Sanjay Gandhi and the assassination, the destruction of slums. I did like the novel but it was a really slow one for me since it was narrated in a different way.

6 comments:

Mridula said...

I have not read a single novel by Rushdie till date but of course many in the family are a fan. Happy reading.

lostworld said...

Been wanting to read this. I shall wait for your views (no spoilers pls).

Doli said...

@Mridula and Lostworld - Am still at the last chapter! But so far it is good..

Raj said...

Oh tough one I'd say. Its totally different from all other novels I read until now. I couldn't finish it though. But from whatever I read, I can say its good one.

Swaram said...

Oh I hv been waiting to read ur final review on this one :)

Doli said...

@Raj - Yes, it's really good. I liked it!
@Swaram - I just updated the post :)