This book is a wonderfullllllllll book. The best that I have ever read till date. It is written by Lisa See and describes in detail about the foot binding process in China and what importance it holds.
After reading this book, I felt oh my God how these people suffer just to look good and attract a good match for their marriage.
It is about two girls Lily and Snow Flower are a laotong pair. Laotong pair means they are friends cum sisters for life. They match it through their signs and and all sorts of stuff.
The worst is when the author describes the painful process of foot binding where the leg bones are broken so that the feet are made smaller to resemble a lotus. It must cause excruciating pain for these small girls.
Also, Lisa mentions a secret language Nu Shu used during that time to communicate between laotongs.
It is a wonderful book and definitely a must read.
Read more about foot binding here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_binding
The pictures itself are so frightening. I do not know how much patience and endurance a mother must have to do this to her baby girl :)
Happy Diwali to one and all! May the festival of lights illuminate in ur a desire for learning and a quest for knowledge. Have a safe and fun filled Diwali bursting crackers.
Labels: China, Foot binding, Lisa See
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Doli!
have gone through all your posts too and I think I will read this particular book.
have u read any of philippa gregory's books? try with the Other Boleyn Girl first :)
Nopes, haven't read any of Philippa's books yet. I have heard of this particular book that you mentioned. I believe it is about Queen Anne and Elizabeth and it is a movie now. Sure, will definitely try this one next.
Post a Comment