Color of Water - James McBride

on Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Hi .. I have finally made up my mind to start blogging after reading many people's sites. Some are fun and interesting, some provide valuable tips, some I use just to check what my friends are upto and some for recipes :)

I have decided to start a blog on my passion for life - Reading books!

Most people who know me know that I am an avid reader of all kinds of books, be it novels, historic books or science. They usually ask me for advice on what to read and what to start out with when they see me reading.

So for now, my today's book will be the one I just finished. "The Color of Water" by James McBride.

A wonderful novel and a lovely insight into inter racial issues. The book is meant to be a tribute to his white Jewish mom by him ( He is a black). He speaks in this book through two ways - one as himself and the other as his mom.

Reading this book makes you aware of the distinction in society and how people around you react to mixed marriages.

Are mixed marriages wrong? Do they work? I guess that is not for us to say or comment. It depends on the two individuals and the seriousness and commitment that they have.

Reading this book makes me change my thinking. Seeing the world and its persecution based on religion makes me wonder why we fight in the name of religion. What is achieved by it? At the end of the day, it's our belief in God that should make us want to be a better person or not...

Read this book for a lovely insight into blacks and whites of America. No one imagines that these things happens in America - the so-called land of freedom :) But it happens daily. The time we travel to office, the looks we give to "colored" people.

Let us hope that through such books, people get enlightened and realise that our color or religion is not who we are. But we are who we become through our various experiences of life and through our upbringing by our parents.

On this nite, I think this is enough philosphy for this day :) Take care and do comment on my blog with constructive critiscism.

3 comments:

Neeraj Sinha said...

I am happy to see you start your blog. I read through whatever you have written for this book. I am yet to read it but I am sure we would not differ a lot in our opinions about religion. You have made your points very clear with your amazing writing skill. Great going Doli.

Raj said...

Its 1 AM on 21st Dec 2008 and I still didn't have my dinner for the only reason that I could not leave this book until I finished it. Such an interesting book it is. As Doli mentioned, its a story of a black son of a white jewish mother who is in search of his identity. Reading through the pages of this book you will understand how a mother can sacrifice her entire life for her children. Being a white mother of black children how she has to confront the racial discrimination in the society. She goes out of her way suffering and struggling in every moment of her life to make her children reach great heights. This book is written in a peculiar yet an interesting way. The author writes one chapter about his mother and the next chapter he writes in his mother's tone about her mother. He gives an insight about the living style of orthodox jewish families and also the racist acts of the white American people against blacks and vice-versa. Again, a wonderful book to read if you want to know what a mother is and how she can sacrifice her own life for her children.

P.S: While reading this book I was also following the news of Casey Anthony who has been arrested in a homicide case of her two year old cutie Caylee Anthony. I have to tell you that I was so bewildered while going through these two different stories or rather two different mothers.

Doli said...

Glad to see that you found this book interesting. :) When you compare it to the Caylee case, Yes, it is so strange that mothers can be different. Although Casey has still not been charged guilty of the murder, we still do not know the true facts.