Shanghai girls - Lisa See

on Thursday, February 24, 2011

I picked this novel mainly because of the author. I loved her previous book Snow Flower and the secret fan that I've read.
This book too didn't fail. I was engrossed and always waiting to see what would happen in the end. It is a story of two sisters May and Pearl who are forced to marry two Chinese guys from US i.e. Vern and Sam respectively. They try to not go to US but are forced to go there. How they spend time on the immigration island (Angel Island) because of some problems and then go to US. 'Paper sons' and 'paper wives' is a concept new to me. I was only a bit disappointed in the end. I expected something more. :)

2 comments:

Mridula said...

And I thought the book was set in Shanghai by looking at the title :D I am reading Everest by Chris Bonington these days.

Doli said...

heheh part of it is set in Shanghai but majorly in US..oh how is that book? Is it about Mount Everest?